Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The age-old dilemma

I saw a beggar leaning on his wooden crutch
he said to me, you must not ask for so much

and a pretty woman leaning in her darkened door

she cried out to me, hey why not ask for more?

Lines from a Leonard Cohen song, Bird on a Wire. I like k.d. lang's version better. Think Johnny Cash did it, too. Can be applied to much of life. Put in brain. Swirl.

I'm moving to Washington, D.C. soon, and experiencing one of those big-change-in-life moments that's left me feeling uprooted and homeless, more than in the literal sense. Atlanta has come to feel like home for me, which I never thought I'd say if you'd asked me 6 years ago when I moved here for college. I guess that would have been right around this time of the year, too. So I guess it's been 6 years this month. Crazy. It's time for a new city.

You can't fully appreciate something until it's gone for a while, right? Capitol City, here I come!



No comments: